Murdoch says "sorry" over phone hacking scandal
The media mogul has apologised.
Titled “We are sorry”, he says that he realises that apologising is not enough and hopes that he can amends for the damage caused. Yesterday Rupert met with the parents of Milly Dowler, whose phone had been hacked into by a private investigator working for News of the World. It is alleged that Murdoch apologised a number of times and said that he was “appalled” with what has happened.
“The News of the World was in the business of holding others to account. It failed when it came to itself. We are sorry for the serious wrongdoing that occurred. We are deeply sorry for the hurt suffered by the individuals affected. We regret not acting faster to sort things out. I realise that simply apologising is not enough.
Our business was founded on the idea that a free and open press should be a positive force in society. We need to live up to this. In the coming days, as we take further concrete steps to resolve these issues and make amends for the damage they have caused, you will hear from us soon. Sincerely, Rupert Murdoch.” – Letter of apology which featured in newspapers on Saturday
Friday was also fast moving day with two resignations within the Murdoch empire. First to go was Rebekah Brooks, followed by Les Hinton who resigned from his post as CEO of Dow Jones & Co. Hinton had previously worked at News International during the time of the original phone hacking allegations. “When I left News International in December 2007, I believed that the rotten element at the News of the World had been eliminated; that important lessons had been learned; and that journalistic integrity was restored.” – Les Hinton
Rupert Murdoch, James Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks will appear before the culture, media and sport select committee on Tuesday.